Walnuts grow on deciduous trees growing in temperate climatic conditions. Eating nuts are good for health and this nut is not an exception. Walnut is a single nut packed with energy, healthy fats, proteins, minerals, vitamins and ample antioxidants. They are a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids which are essential for brain and heart health.
Walnuts are energy dense nuts loaded with calories in the form of healthy fats. It is also rich in proteins, vitamins, minerals and antioxidant compounds. Some of the nutritional facts of walnuts per 100-gram serving as per United States Department of Agriculture, National Nutrient Database are:
- Calories: 100 grams of walnuts give 654 kcal.
- Carbohydrates: Total carbohydrate content is 13.7 grams/100grams. Dietary Fiber content is approximately 6.7 gram and sugar content is approximately 2.6 gram/100 gram
- Lipids: Total fat content is around 65.2 gram. Out of which total saturated fat is 6.1 gram, monounsaturated fat is 8.9 gram and polyunsaturated fat is 47 grams. It does not contain any amount of cholesterol. The content of omega-3 fatty acids is 9.08 grams and that of omega 6 is 38.09 grams.
- Proteins: Protein content is 15.2 gram/100grams
- Minerals: It is loaded with many minerals. The contents of the minerals per 100-gram serving are Potassium (441 mg), Phosphorus (346 mg), Magnesium (158 mg), and Calcium (98 mg). It also contains a small quantity of Sodium (2 mg), Iron (2.91 mg), Zinc (3.09 mg), Copper (1.58 mg), and Manganese (3.4 mg) per 100 grams.
- Vitamins: It is also rich in many vitamins such as Vitamin C, Folate (B9), Vitamins B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, and Vitamin K.
The brown skin of walnut is also a very good source of polyphenolic compounds which are very strong antioxidants. The most predominant polyphenolic compound present in walnut is Ellagic acid. It also contains Melatonin. Melatonin is a hormone which is produced by our body and controls body rhythm i.e. sleep and wake-up cycles. It also acts as antioxidants.